Leading manufacturer of horticultural films, bpi.visqueen has extended its range of smart films with another innovative product. Known as Lumisol, the UV transparent greenhouse film delivers a number of unique advantages to help growers get the most out of their crops, including the ability to improve both crop quality and yield.
Part of a range of next generation films from bpi.visqueen, Lumisol employs the very latest five-layer film technology to allow growers to create an optimum growing environment, actively managing temperature, light transmission and diffusion across a variety of climatic conditions. Thanks to these characteristics, Lumisol can be used in a variety of growing environments from Scotland to Kenya.
Unlike most other greenhouse films currently on the market, which block short wavelength ultraviolet light (UVB), Lumisol actually allows this light to reach crops. This can help to greatly enhance plant quality in terms of colour, taste and fragrance.
Further benefits stem from the fact that UV transparent films also promote plant anti-oxidants encouraging the growth of stronger plants. Specifically, commercial trials by Lancaster University and Stockbridge Technology Centre have shown that Lumisol is able to contribute to increased leaf thickness, vegetative strength and root-to-shoot ratio. As stronger plants can be easier to plant out, this allows growers to save time and increase productivity.
In particular, Lumisol has been shown to contribute to the early picking of soft fruit, while also playing an important role in increasing fruit firmness and extending its shelf life.
Commenting on the launch of Lumisol, John Phoenix, Sales Director at bpi.visqueen, said: “As a business, we recognise that growers are always looking for opportunities to increase productivity and enhance crop quality. As such, bpi.visqueen is committed to a continued programme of product research and development to provide high quality films that deliver superior results. Lumisol is just the latest example of this commitment in practice.”
- ENDS -
Images & captions: Lumisol.jpg; Growing success. Leading manufacturer of horticultural films, bpi.visqueen has added Lumisol to its range of smart films.
For more information please contact Wayne Mohammed or Emma Macey at PRECISION (http://www.precision-online.co.uk/) on 0161 638 8714 or email: email@example.com (firstname.lastname@example.org) or email@example.com (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Notes to Editors:
· British Polythene Industries (BPI) plc is a European leader in the manufacture of polythene film products and a leading global supplier of agricultural and horticultural films.
· bpi.visqueen, a division of British Polythene Industries, operates from a network of sites across the UK, including production facilities in Ardeer, Greenock and Swansea.
· bpi.visqueen’s extensive product portfolio includes heavy-duty sacks, pallet protection products and speciality wide width films. These products are employed by some of Europe’s biggest names in agriculture, horticulture, pharmaceutical and industrial applications.
· bpi.visqueen complements its broad range of products with high quality flexographic printing capabilities, advanced conversion processes and in-depth technical experience to deliver leading-edge film solutions/formats.
· As a result of its commitment to operating in a sustainable way and to minimising the environmental impact of all of its activities, BPI won the Best Green Large Company category at the 2010 Scottish Green Awards.